May 29, 2024

Victoria Falls is one of the world’s seven natural wonders and the largest waterfall on the Zambezi in Africa. It is famous for being the largest waterfall in the world during the rainy season. The Africans who live around the waterfall call it Mosi-oa-Tunya which means “smoke that thunders”. The water made a loud sound as it fell over the rocks and down the Zambezi. Water vapor clouds are always visible around the waterfall.

75% of the Falls can be seen from the Zimbabwean side, while the remaining 25% is visible from the Zambian side.

Victoria Falls on the Zambezi River is located on the border between the countries of Zambia and Zimbabwe in the continent of Africa.

Victoria Falls is one of nature’s intricate mysteries, and features several principle gorges. These are the First, Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth gorges – and the Songwe Gorge, named after the Songwe River, flowing in from the north east.

The Zambezi River is the largest river in Africa and one of the longest. It flows

1,687 miles across Zambia, Angola, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique until it reaches the Indian Ocean.

On the Zimbabwe side of the Falls you will find the Victoria Falls Rainforest, which is the only place on earth to see rain every single day of the year.

550 million liters of water drops 305 feet (93 m) every minute over the cliff at Victoria Falls and continues flowing downstream as the lower Zambezi River.

If you’re a particularly daring traveller, you might enjoy swimming up to the edge of the Falls at Devil’s Pool with your guide.

The width of Victoria Falls in the wet season is a bit over a 1 mile wide (1,609 meters).

From September to December the flow of the Zambezi lessens and water levels drop.

The water depth at the base of the falls is 229 feet (70m).

While known as the world’s largest waterfall Victoria Falls is neither the highest (Angel Falls) nor the widest (Khone Falls). However, it is the largest curtain of falling water on the planet, one and a half times wider than Niagra Falls and twice as high.

The European explorer, Doctor David Livingstone called the falls after Queen Victoria in England when he visited there in 1855.

Victoria Falls is home to a ‘Moonbow’, which is a rainbow at night.

The falls have been protected by the Zambezi National Park since 1983 and Victoria Falls National Park since January 2013.

Every minute, over 5 million cubic metres of water pour over the falls.

Tourists visit Victoria Falls in the dry season between May to October.

The opposing cliffs that comprise the gorge are made from basalt and rise to the same height.

Tourists can bungee jump from a bridge crossing the river downstream of the falls. With strong ropes tied to their ankles, they fall 364 feet until they hang upside down just above the water.

During the wet season it cascades into a gorge over 100 metres deep.

The African elephant can live for 70 years and is the largest land animal on Earth, growing to a height of 8.2 to 13 feet tall (2.5 to 4 m) and weigh between 5,000 to 14,000 lbs (2,268 to 6,350 kg).

ictoria Fall’s geological history dates back two million years since the uplifting of the Makgadikgadi Pan, one of the biggest salt flats on Earth.

Elephants visit the falls to feed on grasses and fruits growing along the banks of the river and on islands in the middle of the river above the falls.

Victoria Falls is placed halfway along the mighty Zambezi River, which flows into the Indian ocean.

Lions, Cheetahs, and sometimes Leopards visit the jungles surrounding the falls but they are shy and not often seen.

This is one of the best places to see white rhinos, and with no predators in the park, Nat Hab travelers are able to safely trek on foot in search of these rare pachyderms, accompanied by guides and park rangers.

Rhinoceros have been re-introduced to the region surrounding the falls. They have had their horns removed so that poachers won’t kill them for their horn.

Buffalo graze on both sides of the Zambezi River near the falls. You can also see Antelopes such as Impala, Waterbuck and Bushbuck.

Hippopotamus swim and rest in the Zambezi River upstream of Victoria Falls. They love to eat the swamp grasses growing in the water and along the banks.

Fish live in the river above and below the falls. Water birds such as the White-backed night heron feed on them and shellfish in the river mud above the falls.

The Peregrine falcon will fly across the surface of the water and grab fish out of the river with their strong talons.

Birds such as the Trumpeter hornbill will eat the fruit growing on the trees in the rainforest surrounding the falls.

Humans have lived around Victoria Falls for at least 2 million years.

The native African people who live around Victoria Falls today speak the Bantu language. They also speak Portuguese and English.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *