Facts About Valentine’s Day
St. Valentine’s Day falls on February fourteenth of every year. Albeit the name is Saint Valentine’s Day, the vast majority allude to the day as Valentine’s Day, or even the Feast of Saint Valentine. It was initially a day to observe Saint Valentinus, who performed weddings for troopers who were not permitted to wed. He was detained for this, just as for helping Christians. Holy person Valentinus composed a letter to the little girl of his guard before he was executed. His letter was endorsed ‘From your Valentine’. He was covered on February fourteenth. Valentine’s Day was not related with sentimental love until the medieval times. By the 1700s in England it started to take after the Valentine’s Day we know today. As of now darlings communicated their affection with blessings of blossoms, treats and cards, which were called ‘valentines’.
Valentine’s Day has its roots in an ancient Pagan festival.
On Valentine`s Day every year, there are at least 36 million heart shape boxes of chocolates sold.
In the 1300s, it officially became a holiday associated with love.
On average, men spend double the amount of money on Valentine`s Day gifts than women spend. The average amount a man spends is $130.
Cupid has its roots in Greek mythology.
There are enough candy hearts made each year to stretch from Valentine, Arizona to Rome, Italy, and back again. The number of these candy hearts produced is approximately 8 billion.
The first valentine was sent in the 15th century.
There are approximately 50 million roses given on Valentine`s Day around the world.
Not until the 1840s did we get the first mass-produced valentines.
Women tend to buy approximately 85% of all the Valentine`s Day cards sold.
The tradition of giving Valentine’s Day flowers dates back to the 17th century.
Valentine`s Day is the second most popular day of the year for sending cards, second only to Christmas.
The Valentine’s Day gift that people spend the most on is jewelry.
There are approximately 1 billion Valentine`s Day cards exchanged every year in the U.S. alone.
The first heart-shaped box of chocolates was introduced in 1861.
Approximately 27 percent of those who buy flowers on Valentine`s Day are women. The other 73% are men.
Nearly 6 million couples get engaged on Valentine’s Day.
The phrase to wear your heart on your sleeve has historical meaning. In the middle ages young people would draw the name of their valentine from a bowl. They had to wear the name on their sleeve for one week.
Many Latin American countries know the holiday as el día de los enamorados (day of lovers) or día del amor y la amistad (day of love and friendship).
Every Valentine`s Day, the Italian city of Verona receives approximately 1,000 letters that have been addressed to Juliet. This is where Romeo and Juliet, the young lovers in Shakespeare`s play, lived.
In Japan, it’s customary for just the women to give confections to the men in their lives, with the quality of the chocolate indicating their true feelings, according to Fortune.
The first Valentine`s Day candy box was invented by Richard Cadbury in the late 19th century.
Red roses mean romance in the Victorian language of flowers.
On Valentine`s Day, 1876, Alexander Graham Bell applied for his telephone patent.
Only Japanese men get chocolate on Valentine’s Day.
Cupid is the son of Venus. Venus was the god of beauty and love.
Approximately 27 percent of those who buy flowers on Valentine’s Day are women. Only 73% are men.
Approximately 15% of women send themselves flowers on Valentine`s Day.
All over the world, over 50 million roses are given for Valentine’s Day each year.
In 1537, King Henry the Eighth declared that February 14th was a holiday. King Henry the Eighth had most of his wives executed because they did not give birth to a son.
Girls of medieval times ate bizarre foods on St. Valentine’s Day to make them dream of their future husband.
At least 9 million people buy their pets a gift on Valentine`s Day.
Richard Cadbury invented the first Valentines Day candy box in the late 1800s.
In the middle ages, superstition said that if you were single, you would end up marrying the first single person of the opposite sex that you met on Valentine`s Day.
The name Valentine is derived from a Latin word meaning valor.
Penicillin was introduced on February 14th in 1929.
Approximately 110 million roses, the majority red, will be sold and delivered within a three-day time period.
After St. Valentine was buried, Julia, the daughter of his jailor, planted an almond tree with pink blossoms near his grave. The almond tree today is a symbol of lasting friendship and love.
More than 35 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate will be sold for Valentine’s Day.